Antique mirrors are known for their ornate frames, distressed patches, and dark edges. They can give any wall in your home a glamorous and vintage feel. Just like modern mirrors, antique mirrors can lighten a home and they make interesting features when placed in hallways, sitting and dining rooms, kitchens, staircases, bathrooms, and bedrooms.
One of the many advantages of using ornate mirrors or those with a distressed and older appearance on a bedroom wall is that they can perfectly blend in with many décor styles, including contemporary and modern.
Advantages of using an antique mirror in the bedroom
- A vintage mirror can turn a boring rectangular bedroom into an elegant room if used as a focal point. The most practical would be to hang it above a rectangular narrow table as a vanity mirror. To complete the plush look, vintage sconce lights can be added on either side of the mirror, offering light and adding to the overall elegance of the room.
- The wall above your bed and headboard is a focal point in your bedroom and a mirror above the headboard can be used in various combinations to create light, space and an interesting feature. Leather and fabric finished with wooden frames are great materials for headboards, which will be used in combination with mirrors.
- Old mirror screens can make a stunning headboard or they make an interesting feature in a corner of the room.
- A small room will look larger if a tall mirror is installed. It can either be free-standing or hung on the wall, but its length must be at least three-quarters of the length of the wall. The styling of the room will be enhanced if a piece of vintage furniture is placed to reflect from the mirror.
- Antique mirrors can be positioned across the window in a bedroom that lacks enough natural light. These mirrors can be any size and their foggy appearance offer the added advantage that they don’t create a glare.
- Combine several mirrors on any wall in a bedroom and create an interesting feature while also taking advantage of their reflective abilities. These can be hung above, opposite a bed, or on a wall leading to a bathroom or dressing room.
- If you are so lucky to have a fireplace in your room, then enhance its opulence with an oversized mirror in an English or French style.
Antique mirror for the complete wall
If you want a complete wall mirror for your bedroom, there are some clever ways to use a wall without losing precious space.
Have a wardrobe made with wood and antique mirrored doors to reflect a window or the furniture in your bedroom while also optimizing your storage space. The doors (either sliding or swinging outward) can be used as a dressing mirror because they will reflect your whole length.
Use a complete wall mirror as a headboard and it will reflect other interesting features in your room.
Cover any imperfections to a wall in your bedroom with a complete antique mirror and add some glamour to the room. You can make the mirror even more elegant by adding a frame to it or a fun pattern with a stenciled design or narrow wooden decorative strips arranged in an interesting pattern. A mirrored wall does not have to stand empty; you can place a dresser in front of it or and even hang a mirror or some paintings on it with adhesive hooks. If you have a large bedroom, you can even create an interesting seating area in front of the mirror.
Unique reflection with vintage mirror in the bedroom
Any mirror serves the purpose to reflect something worthwhile. Depending on what your purpose was for placing an antique mirror in your bedroom, then make sure you achieve it fully.
If your purpose was to bring in natural light, then hang it across from the window or next to it, always ensuring that it catches and reflects the light to other parts of the room without creating glare, something that an older mirror won’t do.
Shabby old-looking mirrors placed over a dresser in any bedroom can showcase some sentimental items or collectables like silk scarves.
Use your mirror to reflect items of interest in your bedroom. These could be a vase of flowers, a restored footstool or an interesting crystal chandelier.
Visit Fab Glass and Mirror today and select an antique mirror for your bedroom from a whole range of pre-cut shapes and sizes. These include the more classical arch, square, round and rectangle patterns, but also more unusual mirror cuts like arch top and bottom, irregular octagon, quarter round and quarter round notches. If you can’t find your size and need a customized mirror, then send Fab Glass and Mirror a sketch template for a free quotation by post it or email it in PDF format.