Bathrooms have come a long way from being utilitarian water closets. Today bathrooms are designed to provide more of a spa-like soothing experience allowing you to relax after a long day at work. From allowing maximum natural sunlight to make its way into the room to building a natural plant habitat in the room, every homeowner wants to make their bathroom shower bath area more natural-looking and livelier.
Whether you are looking to add just a few plants or build a complete indoor or outdoor garden in your shower area, we have put together a guide that will help you at every step of the way.
Ideal Plants for Indoor Bathroom Garden
Instead of thinking about adding a large window or skylight in your bathroom, look for the plants that can fit in provides. Many houseplants can endure excessive moisture and humid conditions and require low to medium sunlight to thrive. Considering the eco-system, the following plants can make a perfect indoor bathroom garden that you can keep inside the shower or around the Bathtub.
- Succulents – Although they do well against humid conditions, most succulents like jade need medium to bright indirect sunlight, making them viable for large, airy bathrooms with natural sunlight.
- Orchids – Since they grow in humid conditions, orchids make perfect indoor bathroom plants. However, they do also need bright indirect light to bloom flowers and flourish. They may continue to grow under low light conditions but won’t flower without adequate sunlight.
- Pothos – As one of the most popular indoor plant types, pothos can handle all types of humid conditions as long as they are given enough sunlight. These plants suck moisture out of the air making them a good solution for showering areas.
- Ferns – Ferns are moisture-loving plants that also do well in shady places as long as they can sense natural sunlight nearby. If they are placed far from the showering area, you may want to mist them from time to time for proper growth.
- Air plants – Being epiphytic, air plants also do well under moist conditions with low to medium sunlight. They also appear beautiful sitting on the countertop or on the shelve in your bathroom.
Creating an Indoor Bathroom Garden
Here are a few essential instructions you should consider for creating a perfectly thriving indoor bathroom garden:
- Look for an ideal place in the bathroom to place your plants. You could utilize the space near the vanity unit, or around the Bathtub as most people do, or look for other dull spots that may need some green life.
- Prefer placing the smaller pots on the vanity countertop, wall shelves, or toilet cisterns, whereas larger plants can lay simply on the floor.
- To add some more décor elements to the bathroom, you can utilize your walls and ceilings as well. Get some wall-hanging plant pots in areas where the natural light passes through.
- If you intend to go all out with an indoor bathroom garden, consider adding a skylight or a massive window that lets maximum sunlight flow into the room. This way, you can add more and bigger plants to the room.
- In case you are building an indoor bathroom garden as your new bathroom renovation task, you can even create it on your floor with some pebbles around, marking the boundary. The space can be around the bathtub area to make you feel close to nature when having a bath.
Creating Outdoor Bathroom Garden
Creating an outdoor bathroom garden is a great way to add some greenery to your bathroom. It can be done in a small area and will provide you with some fresh air and a beautiful natural view. The best part about it is that depending on the plants you choose, it’s low-maintenance and doesn’t require a lot of effort. All you need is some dirt, plants, and water.
However, you may have to make some changes inside the bathroom to make it possible. You will need to look for some space alongside the outside wall of the bathroom. It may even be a family bathroom that shares the wall with your courtyard. There are various ways to incorporate privacy by erecting a fence and any other type of wall around the outside garden. It is also possible to install a full wall window or a glass door that will let you enjoy the garden whenever you want. The purpose of such fencing is to keep the privacy of the person sitting in a bathtub or in a bathroom shower. You may simply use the glass that does not allow for a person to look inside from the garden. But let you enjoy the garden from inside only.
The great thing about an outdoor bathroom garden is that you can grow a larger variety of plants. Your choices are limitless. These may even be the same indoor plants or any other outdoor plants that you like the most. It will let you enjoy more natural sunlight in the bathroom, and fresh air coming into the space will create a serene environment. You may also make some changes to make it feel bigger and transform it into a spa like zen space.
Creating a bathroom garden is a great way to incorporate nature into your bathroom. You may indoor plants to place at various places inside the bathroom or simply grow them along the outside wall installing a full window or door to let air and light come in, letting you enjoy the view outside.