When deciding between a framed or frameless shower doors it’s important to consider the pros and cons of each for your residential or commercial property. The quality of the shower door, the maintenance requirements and the cost are some of the major factors to consider. Keep these factors in mind when deciding which shower door type is best to fit your needs.
Pros and Cons of Framed Shower Door
Advantages of installing framed glass shower door
- It has low budget requirement. A framed shower door will not require huge budget for buying and installation than a frameless one.
- The door’s metal support means that thinner glass is used to fit within the frame, making a framed shower door more cost-efficient.
- Framing provides stability to the shower door. Glass shower doors are often made of tempered glass for safety purposes. Tempered glass shatters into small circles as opposed to shards when it breaks, making it a safer alternative. The metal used to frame the glass adds a strong level of reinforcement and additional protection from breakage.
- Easy to install, a framed shower door only needs the frame to be hung and it’s all set to be used.
Disadvantages of Using glass shower doors
Frame crevices can collect soap scum and residue, resulting in cleaning difficulty and a risk of mold and mildew build-up.
- Often not as visually appealing as its frameless counterpart, a framed shower door has limited styles to choose from and can become stylistically outdated more quickly than a frameless design. Frames also take away from the rest of the bathroom’s décor and tiling or stonework.
- Shower doors can only open in one direction, resulting in a limited range of motion and bathroom placement.
- Its maintenance requirement is comparatively more than that of frameless one.
Pros and Cons of Frameless Shower Door
Advantages of using frameless shower door in your bathroom
- Makes for a brighter bathroom. Light can pass through a clear frameless shower door which allows for more light inside the shower. Sunlight can pass through any windows inside the shower to let natural light stream into the bathroom during the day.
- Easy to wipe down for regular cleaning. A frameless shower door also has fewer parts that require less replacement.
- Add a sleek and sophisticated look to any bathroom with several designs to choose from. Frameless shower doors are timeless and won’t go out-of-date as quickly as a framed style. Having a clear door means that the shower is not hindering the rest of the bathroom, leaving the focus on the bathroom’s design features and colors.
- A wide range of motion is a selling point of a frameless shower door. Door hinges allow the door to swing inward and outward, adding to its accessibility to clean.
Disadvantages of using frameless shower door in bathroom
- Compared to the cost of a framed shower, frameless shower doors typically come with a higher price tag.
- Frameless shower doors come with a higher risk of water leakage. Glass must be cut to perfect dimensions to avoid gaps which can lead to water leaking out onto the bathroom floor. Shower head placement is also crucial to avoid water spreading out into the bathroom every time the shower runs.
Which Shower Door is better for Residential Use?
Here’s what to consider when selecting a shower door for residential use.
- Opt for a low maintenance requirement. Select a shower that will not require frequent parts replacement or significant upkeep costs.
- Easy cleaning is a must to avoid constantly adding “clean the shower” to the household chore list.
- Use your shower door to enlarge the look of your bathroom. An open look and clean glass will make your bathroom appear bigger, not small, dark and cramped.
- Add to your home’s resale value with a shower style that will maximize your home’s property value and last much longer.
A frameless shower door is the best option for residential use because of its easiness to clean and maintain as well as its visual appeal and the value it can add to any home.
Which Shower Door is better for Commercial Use?
When selecting a shower door for your commercial property from Glass Genius, there are a few suggestions to consider when selecting the best shower structure for the bathroom. A framed shower door is going to provide the ideal option for commercial needs for a few reasons.
- With frequent use in a commercial setting, a strong and durable shower door is a must. Regular use requires a shower door that can handle frequent opening and closing.
- Water leakage can cause severe damage, especially in a commercial building. It is critical to select a door that will keep as much water in the shower as possible to avoid flooding, staining and water getting into the floor and walls, damaging not only the bathroom but also the surrounding rooms.
- Framed shower doors are cost effective, making them a budget-friendly solution for buildings with multiple showers without giving off a cheap or low-budget look.
Leave a Reply