Many people find moving interstate a tricky task rather than a local or long-distance task and search online for interstate tips and tricks in advance.
However, it is always good to use a checklist when interstate moving to make the process easier. Such a checklist can put everything in order, and nothing is left out.
We’ve outlined the Interstate Moving Checklist to help you organize your move easier and more simply. Let’s see what you need to do!
- Visit the state and city you are moving to.
You should take at least one trip before you move. Many people think they don’t have time, especially if it’s a sudden move or a work-related move, but it’s important to get a feel for your new home. You can check out the most famous attractions on the way but search online for tips on which restaurants and shops locals use first.
- Configure your budget
The transition to the new state can be a costly event. So it’s best to talk to anyone involved in the move to determine what expenses are necessary and what costs you can reduce. Set a realistic budget to cut unnecessary costs and focus on the expenses that matter most to you.
Creating a moving budget will help you know how much you can spend on your interstate move so you can plan accordingly.
- Plan packing
Before entering the big packing period, develop a strategy:
- What should you pack first, and what should you expect?
- What pieces can you start working on today?
- How would you like to label your moving boxes?
Get rid of the stuff you don’t want, so you have less to deal with. Many charities will pick up donations at your doorstep, or you can drop them off somewhere or even have a garage sale.
When you are done planning, now is a good time to go through your boxes and ensure everything is secure storage and properly labeled. You can also tag items by part and content such as “FRAGILE,” “EMERGENCY,” “LOAD FIRST,” and “LOAD LAST” tags.
- Do Research and Choose the Mover
It is a huge turning point for you, so it is best to choose the right type of interstate moving service company to handle your move.
Here are some things to consider when choosing a moving company to do your packing:
- Cost:You’ll want to know how the company bills – by item or by the hour. Is it all-inclusive, or are certain items, such as fragile items, extra?
- Experience:Ensure the moving company has already packed people as a service and how many years they have under their region.
- References:You certainly want to check verifiable references. Look for reviews on sites other than their site. Ask your family, friends, and online group members if they know anything about the business as well.
- Supplies:Ask the company if they provide secure storage for your moving boxes and other supplies you need, like bubble wrap and duct tape. Make sure to see if there is an additional charge for these supplies if they provide them.
- Organize: The more organized you are when the moving company comes to pack you up, the more organized it can be. Ask them if there are specific things you can do before they get there to make the process smoother and faster.
However, be sure to do plenty of research, compare quotes, and end up with a supplier who offers the best value for money. Also, make sure that your mover offers sufficient insurance coverage.
- Cancel Memberships and Contracts
Many subscriptions require thirty days’ notice before extinction and some even more! Check your recent credit and debit card statements to see where your money is going. Contact your spas, gyms, salons, and other local organizations you are currently paying for.
- Change Your Address
Once you know the moving date and your new address, it is best to change your address with the post office to redirect your mail. Don’t forget to cancel all your utilities, credit cards, internet, cable, and magazine subscriptions.
Finally, you’ve completed your interstate moving checklist, and you need to leave all the stress on your hired movers, take a final tour of the house, and make sure everything is with you in your truck.
Prepare for an Interstate Move!
So here is the most important checklist you can consider when moving interstate. Sure, you’ll likely have a few other things to do before the move, but these are the crucial things on your to-do list.
Try to stay calm and have a positive outlook on relocation. It’s a big change, and this change can be good. So get excited and enjoy the new chapter in your life!