Do-it-yourself is a prevalent trend these days. Hands-on DIY projects are not only exciting but also easy on the wallet. Therefore, people prefer creating things instead of buying them.
Are you a DIY enthusiast and all set to create a DIY plexiglass project for your interior? So, you want to make a wall-mounted calendar for your home or design an acrylic office organizer? But not sure about cutting the plexiglass?
Don’t worry! We are here with some easy techniques to cut plexiglass for your home or office or home DIY projects.
But first! Let’s understand what plexiglass is and what it is made of.
What is Plexiglass?
Plexiglass or Acrylic glass is a transparent petroleum thermoplastic product that is normally manufactured in sheets. It is lightweight, flexible, and shatter-resistant. These properties together make plexiglass a great alternative to glass.
What are the Uses of Plexiglass?
Owing to its service life and incredible strength, plexiglass is a fascinating invention. It is a perfect choice for window glass, partitions, and other furniture. The utility of plexiglass goes a long way from just furniture items. It has been used in medical and dental industries, cars and airplanes, home appliances, and huge aquariums due to its durability. Are you still confused to differentiate between Lexan vs plexiglass? Here’s the complete guide for your ease.
How to Cut a Plexiglass for DIY Projects?
The high-end design versatility of plexiglass indicates that it is a perfect choice for DIY projects. It is highly customizable that you can easily cut to size plexiglass at home with accuracy.
Let’s explore the different methods to cut plexiglass at home.
- Score and Snap Method
Plexiglass can easily be cut by hand using the score and snap method.
- Pencil or Marker
- Glass cutter or a box cutter
- Sandpaper or metallic file
- Mark the space from where you want to cut the sheet using the ruler.
- Take a glass cutter or the sharp side of the box cutter and score the mark.
- Create a deep indent using the cutter, preferably on both sides of the sheet. However, you can also score the mark from one side only.
- Once you are done with scoring, place the plexiglass sheet on the edge of a table or any level surface.
- Align the line you drew with the edge of the table and apply pressure on the sheet until it snaps off.
- Smooth the edges of the sheet using sandpaper or a metallic file.
Note: The Score and Snap method works for the plexiglass sheets that are not too big or too thick.
- Cutting Plexiglass with a Jigsaw
Score and Snap method cannot be used to cut thick plexiglass sheets. But we can still cut thick sheets at home using a small handheld tool – the jigsaw.
- A Marker
- Jigsaw with fine teeth
- Sandpaper or metallic file
Process of cutting
- Clamp the sheet tightly to the workbench.
- Use the marker or grease pencil to mark the area you want to cut.
- Stick a piece of tape over the marked line to prevent splintering.
- Put on your safety goggles.
- Take the jigsaw and plug it in a power outlet. Align the jigsaw with the marked line and start cutting. Make sure to cut the sheet steadily.
- Smooth the edges using the sandpaper at the end.
Note: You can also use a handsaw to cut relatively thicker sheets of plexiglass. Put on your safety gear and follow the same procedure.
- Cutting with a Bandsaw
For more advanced DIY projects, you might feel a need to cut your sheet in curves or shapes, while a hand saw or jigsaw would not be handy. Here, bandsaw will do the job. However, you should carefully select the blade and feed rate of the tool to minimize the risks of splintering or melting.
- A marker or grease pencil
Procedure of cutting
- Mark the curves or draw the shape in which you want to cut your sheet.
- Put on your safety gear.
- Check and adjust the settings of the tool.
- Line up the band-saw with the marked shape and cut the sheet by changing the direction according to the markings.
- Keep the cutting speed slow.
- Band-saw retains the sharpness of the plexiglass. Therefore, there would be either no need or only a minimal need to smooth out the edges.
Where can You Buy Plexiglass at Affordable Prices?
If you are looking for some quality plexiglass at affordable prices for your home or office DIY projects, “Glass Genius” is the right place for you.
Glass Genius is a specialized marketplace for companies and customers to buy and sell glass products. It offers a comprehensive collection of glass and mirror products. You can browse through their extensive collection of plexiglass and place your orders easily. It also facilitates you to get custom-cut plexiglass that fits your specifications perfectly. Glass Genius is the ultimate place for you to find quality plexiglass at the best prices.
Order custom cut plexiglass today and start your DIY project. Happy Creating!