With COVID-19, many companies are working on a skeleton workforce, with many employees going on a work from home setting. Because of this, a lot of employees now have to deal with the struggle of creating a space where they can still do their tasks successfully even when they’re in a non-traditional office setting.
If you’re working from home, you might be wondering how to set up an office that fosters productivity and efficiency. This part of the process is the most difficult, and is also the one that takes the longest to complete. After all, you want to make sure that you have a space that allows you to accomplish all your work promptly and properly.
In this article, you’ll learn some tips for setting up your own portable office at home.
- Think About The Right Space For Your WFH Office
You need to think about the available space and what you’ll be doing with that space. There are many different types of office spaces you can choose from. You can set up your home office in a small room, a smaller office in an open space in your apartment or condominium, or build a portable office for your company. A portable office allows greater flexibility for you and your employees since it ensures that any structural changes are easy and quick to make.
- Choose The Office Equipment You Need
The next step in the process is choosing what kind of equipment you want for your home office. This is important for two reasons. First, you’ll want to choose equipment that can do what you need them to do. Second, you’ll want to make sure that you can afford the equipment you purchase.
You’ll definitely need to have a computer or a laptop. Before buying one, make sure to do your research and choose the option that allows you to smoothly complete your daily tasks. Ensure that your computer or laptop is also compatible with the key technological tools that your company or business is using. For example, if you’re using a specific software for work, make sure that you can easily install and use it with your device.
Check out some of the other essential office equipment you need to invest in for your WFH portable office:
- Business phone system to handle customer service calls
- Fax machine
- Office tools, like stamps, scissors, cutters, staplers, etc.
- Install The Right Lighting
Lighting can be tricky if you’re not aware of what options are available, what works well, and what doesn’t. You can use a few basic principles and tricks to ensure that your office is well-lit and conducive for productivity.
How do you install lighting for your WFH office? Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Keep Lighting Indirect: Overhead lights usually result in eye strain due to direct glare. It’s best to diffuse the ambient light, illuminating your office space. Your goal should be to illuminate your entire working space without causing undue glare or casting shadows.
- Consider The Light Source: Consider where the light is coming from. Avoid setting a light source behind you while working on your computer to avoid the annoying glare on your computer monitor. Benefit from natural light that come from a window or a skylight to increase productivity because sunlight produces warm lighting.
- Accent and Decorative Lighting: Adding high-quality decorative and accent lighting helps improve your home office’s visual character, especially if you have display products in your portable office.
- Choose The Best WFH Furniture
You can make your work from home office cozier by choosing the best furniture. Whether you prefer furniture pieces with multiple compartments or customized shelves, make sure to choose ones that can help you maximize your space for a more productive experience.
There are many choices in terms of which kind of desk is the best fit for your office. You can purchase a large portable table that’s made out of a very durable material. Some models even come with wheels so you don’t have to worry about transportation when you need to move your office around. If you don’t have room to store all of your computer equipment and other office supplies, a large desk with multiple drawers is definitely for you.
One of the furniture pieces you need for your WFH portable office is an ergonomic chair. To find the best ergonomic chair, consider the following factors:
- Type Of Job: Consider what sort of job you have and what type of working conditions are currently present in your home. After all, there will be times when you’ll be sitting in front of your computer for extended periods of time. This is why it’s a good idea to opt for a chair that allows you to relax and work comfortably.
- Amount Of Space: Another important factor to consider when buying a chair is the amount of available space. You don’t want to purchase a chair that is too large for your room because then you won’t have enough space for any of your other stuff. If you have enough space available, you may be able to get away with purchasing a chair that is a little larger than what you really need.
- Set Boundaries
In a recent survey, about 47 percent of people working at home are satisfied and increased in productivity by making their office space more comfortable. For this reason, it is crucial to set boundaries in your WFH portable office to increase work productivity.
Here are some ways to set boundaries for your WFH portable office:
- Fencing solution, such as a pallet fence for your portable office building to avoid being disturbed by your neighbors
- Black out curtains to improve office privacy
- Set a schedule for yourself and your employees to attain a balanced work and family life
- Set organizers or compartments in appropriate places using furniture items, such as cabinets that act as office walls
It’s essential to set boundaries to avoid burnout and promote productivity when you’re setting up a WFH portable office. Create a home office that sets your personal life apart from your work by installing the right lighting, office furniture, and other office equipment and appliances you need.