From the onset of the concept of ownership among humans came the need to protect that which was owned. Be it foodstuff, livestock, furniture, etc. they had to be protected.
This was done primarily for preservation, storage, and for safekeeping. As civilization advanced with more inventions and with more things to be owned, the need to device different ways of keeping, storing, and preserving them also increased.
This idea throughout time has continued and evolved such that on this day, one might never know the reason or idea that originated some of the practices and norms that we see and now practice.
A great example would be the fact that many people, do not know that the word garage has its origins in the French word garer which means to shelter. Now that you think about it, the whole thing makes a lot more sense.
A Look at the Garage
It is mostly an outbuilding; that is separate from the main building and basically designed to house the vehicle or vehicles in a compound. Its primary function is to protect the car in it from precipitation, vandalization, or theft.
It might also serve other purposes depending on the owner or the need of the time. Thus, it can be used for storage or as a workshop for different sorts, of things e.g. woodwork, auto repairs or painting, and more.
Though in many cases it is separate from the main building, it might also be attached to it and still be adequate. The important thing is that it serves its purpose of housing the vehicle or vehicles as the case may be.
The other crucial part of the garage, Is its door. Obviously, in the light of its purpose or function, it is not complete without its door. You can read more about the garage door here.
How Does the Door Work?
There are basically two types of systems to how it works. These systems are the most commonly used in the different types of garage doors out there but they do not represent all the available types.
These two are:
- The Extension Spring System and
- The Torsion Spring System
The Extension Spring System
In this system, springs are attached to cables and are further attached to the rear ends of the door. Thus when it is opened, the energy stored in the spring is released which in turn lifts the door and when closing it, the springs contract.
Its major disadvantage is that the springs over time get weak and may no longer perform its function. They may even break. It is also very crucial that you ensure that this spring system has a safety cable running through it so as to avoid accidents that may lead to injuries or damages
The Torsion Spring System
The torsion spring system is mostly mounted above the door opening. This, aside from the fact that it is the more popular of the two, is the basic difference between it and the extension spring system.
Like the extension spring system, over time, it is subject to wear and tear. There’s, therefore, the need to check on it, repair it or replace it after a while.
Signs That It Needs Repairs
A lot of the time, it escapes the mind that the constantly used garage door might be in need of repairs. This neglect might continue even when the signs are obvious.
It goes without saying that it is very bad to wait until the occurrence of an accident before fixing it. Here are some signs to know that it is in need of repairs.
- When it Wouldn’t Open or Close: This is a clear sign that there is a challenge. When this happens, it becomes obvious that there is a part that is faulty and therefore in need of repair or complete replacement.
- When It Becomes Noisy: This is another sign that it is in need of repairs. While the repairs will stop it from making those embarrassing sounds when being opened or closed, it will fix the underlying problem.
- If It Comes off Its Tracks: Now this might be caused by a number of reasons such as that the rollers being worn out, being hit by a car or a heavy object. etc. Where this is the case, there’s need for a speedy repair of whatever might be the challenge as this might result in costly and painful avoidable accidents.
- When It Becomes Unbalanced: Your garage door should sit evenly on the ground, it should also move evenly. Where this is not the case, there definitely is a problem that needs to be rectified.
- Slow Response: Where its response becomes very slow and sluggish, then there is most definitely a fault somewhere which would, in turn, need to be repaired. It could also be that there’s a need to buy a newer part.
When you have established that there is a fault with your garage door and it is in need of repair, you have two choices before you. One is to do the repair by yourself and the second is to get a repair service.
Here’s are some things to note should you decide to fix it yourself.
Tips on How to Go about This
- Take a good look and properly examine the garage door, check out for loose tracks and tighten up their bolts and screws. If there are damaged areas, even them out with a mallet or hammer depending on what is available.
- Ensure that the tracks are well evened out and that they align well with each other. It might be necessary to make some adjustments.
- Ensure that there is no loose hardware, from the hinges to the screws. Also, lubricate them for easier functioning.
- They might also just have been in need of serious cleaning. In such a case, cleaning off the hard grease stains and dirt on it might just do the trick.
It can be observed that most of the above-listed tips are basic maintenance routines. However, they could sometimes prove to be the main issue in a number of cases.
There are instances when you will look at the fault and not be able to fix it. In such a situation, you will be wise to engage the services of garage door repairers like https://www.freedomgaragedoorservices.com/services/garage-door-repairs/
Leaving the garage door unrepaired or in bad shape defeats its purpose of housing and protecting the vehicle in it. Also, it is an embarrassing situation to have it squeaking aloud in the house, or leaving it till an accident results from it.
As the old English saying goes, a stitch in time saves nine.
Leave a Reply