Water is among the essential ingredients of life. It has many uses, including consumption. Therefore, our health depends on it. Just like the name goes, the Home Water Purification System treats the water you consume and use for bathing. It removes those contaminants that may be harmful to your health. Many of the various sources where we obtain water are contaminated or polluted.
According to the World Health Organization, contamination in water, half of the world’s population is projected to be living in water-stressed areas by the year 2025 (only five years away). It also points out that 80 percent of the world’s water sources are usually contaminated with various elements. Hence, the need for home water purification systems to ensure that nothing is left to chance.
What is a Home Water Purification System?
Water treatment is a process by which the undesired chemical compounds and harmful elements, organic, inorganic, and biological contaminants, are removed from the water. A home water purification system is one that performs these processes at the main entry of the water into your home to ensure that it is filtered for use throughout your home.
The diagram shows a typical whole Home Water Purification or filtration System.
Why do you need a Home Water Purification System?
It is always important to stay hydrated. Water is essential in building the immune system to fight infections such as the COVID-19 pandemic and other infections or diseases. However, the same water may become the source of the infection and illnesses if not treated properly. It is a fact that filtered water is healthier than unfiltered tap water. This is because direct tap water contains carcinogens. If you look at the local water report, you may find the levels of compounds such as the trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids in your water.
These are contaminants formed when chlorine is added to the water containing organic materials at the treatment plants. Such contaminants, and others, as mentioned above, are absorbed into your intestines and through your skin when you consume the water or take a bath. As so, it is not important to gamble with your health. The Home Water Purification Systems ensures that the water you use and consume does not harm your health but boosts your health and immunity.
Among other essential benefits, you also get to enjoy the following;
- First, you enjoy safe water for consumption and other uses
- It also reduces and prevents skin irritation
- It also reduces the potential of plumbing issues by reducing corrosion and effects on the pipes and such equipment
- It also saves on the cost compared to purchasing bottled water
The best Home Water Purification Systems and Water Filtration Systems for use at your home is the one that treats the chemicals and contaminants found in YOUR water. It is also important to size the system according to your water consumption. It is important to note that the water purification system’s choice is determined by various factors such as the contaminants in the water and other factors discussed in the section below.
What you need to know before Installing a Home Water Purification System
You need to separate fact from the fiction given by various merchants that seek to sell the water purification systems. As mentioned above, the choice is mainly determined by the contaminants in the water. It also varies according to the location, factors which are determined through science-based skillsets. Don’t fall for the tricks performed by ‘water experts’ who visit your home.
It is also essential to work with experts who have experience in this field to identify the contaminants in your water and hence know the home water purification system’s best choice. In identifying the contaminants, it depends on your source of water.
- For public water, the local water reports are essential in determining the determinants as per the reports.
- For private water sources such a well, a well water test that helps determine the components of your water and hence determine the best water filtration and purification system for your home.
Either way, search online for the best solutions to purifying your water for consumption and use at your home through different water filters designed with different cutting edge technologies.
Types of Home Water Purification Systems
There are many types of home water purification systems (water filters) in the market, where each utilizes various technologies in the production of cleaner and safer water for consumption. However, it cannot remove chemicals and contaminants that are smaller than 1 micron. Other types of Homer Water Purification Systems include;
- Activated Carbon Block Filtration is composed of fine carbon powder that removes chlorine, chemicals, and contaminants in the water.
- Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) filtration systems contain loose carbon granules that are larger than the carbon block cartridges.
- Reverse Osmosis Filtration System – This technology utilizes a semipermeable membrane (or called RO membrane) to separate inorganic contaminants from water and produce the cleanest drinking water.
- Ultraviolet (UV) Disinfection – In water treatment, UV technology kills microorganisms such as viruses, Cysts, E.coli, Coliforms, Cryptosporidium, protozoa, Giardia, Hepatitis, Infectious, Typhoid fever, and bacteria.
To learn what you need start by finding your local water quality report online. Review not only the listed contaminants, but look at the water source. If it is a river ask yourself what is upstream of you. If cities are upstream you will have pharmaceuticals in your water. If farming is upstream you’ll have pesticides. These won’t be listed in your water report but in order to have truly healthy water it is important to remove them.