A sunroom is a great room for doing a lot of activities. It gets plenty of natural light, and this makes it a popular room in the house. If you are interested in building a sunroom, there are many different kinds that each come with different average costs. According to Angi, formerly known as Angie’s List, the cost to build a sunroom can range anywhere from $5,000 to upwards of $140,000. The price depends on the location of your home, the size of the sunroom, the material costs and the type of room you are planning.
Types of Sunrooms
A four-season room is insulated in all of the walls, and it can be used for every season of the year. These typically run between $25,000 and $80,000. Three-season rooms are not insulated as much, so they may be too cold to use in the winter months. These sunrooms cost anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000. A glass room, or glass solarium, is a great way to extend the outside inside. These rooms can be built for $30,000 to $75,000.
A garden room, also called a conservatory, will cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $80,000 to build. These rooms are much like an enclosed greenhouse. An atrium with a roof is a room that has a glass roof. Often, atrium walls have already been built, so the cost is for the ceiling itself. These can run from $10,000 to $35,000.
What You Pay For
If some of these prices seem steep, it’s important to remember how many aspects of the room that you are paying for. Home additions come with a number of steps that are each important and that each will cost you. Some of these costs include:
- Foundation: This cost depends on the size of the sunroom, but this generally runs between $1,000 and $6,000.
- Permits: Adding onto your home means getting a building permit, and these can be between $400 and $1,500.
- Site Preparation: This is to clear the land and get the site ready for building. This can cost between $500 and $5,600, depending on what’s there.
- Landscaping: Adding on a few landscaping touches will typically cost between $1,400 and $5,500.
- Insulation: This depends on the size of the room and the materials being used. It can cost you from $500 to $1,500.
- Roof: The roof of your sunroom can cost from $3,600 to $8,500 depending on the materials being used.
- Doors and Windows: Getting windows installed can cost anywhere from $3,500 and $15,000. If you are getting a patio door, this can cost between $1,300 and $11,000.
- Electricity: This includes the outlets in the room, any ceiling fans, light fixtures, etc., and will generally cost $50 to $100 per hour in labor plus the cost of materials.
- HVAC Systems: This cost can be anywhere from $2,300 to $20,500 depending on the type of system the space needs.
- Interior Finishing: Depending on how elaborate they are, these can cost between $200 and $9,000.
- Cleanup: Don’t forget the cleanup! This usually costs from $280 to $670.
The prices for a sunroom vary wildly depending on what you want, but having this extra space surrounded by nature is often worth the price. Homeowners can use the space as a playroom, an art studio, a dining room, a reading room and more.
Leave a Reply