When you’re home alone, and the sun is going down, your mind starts to race. You think about all the things that could happen to you if someone breaks into your house. But what are you going to do if something bad happens? How can you protect yourself in this situation? There are many things we can do as homeowners that can help us keep ourselves safe from intruders, but one of the most important things is knowing how secure our homes really are.
Install motion detector lights on your porch
Setting up motion detector lights is a great way to make your porch and yard safer. Motion detector lights are easy to install and can be placed on the sides of the house or posts in your yard for maximum coverage. The lights will turn on automatically when someone walks nearby, making it much easier to see who is at your door or walking up the driveway. They also help deter potential intruders from approaching because they will know they could be seen by anyone passing by.
Get to know your neighbors
It’s important to get to know your neighbors and ask them to keep an eye out for anything suspicious. If you see someone who looks like they’re breaking into your home, call the police immediately. If there is any reason to suspect that a neighbor might be involved in any criminal activity (or knows something about it), don’t hesitate to ask them for help.
It goes without saying that you should never hesitate to ask for help from family members either.
Leave the lights on when you aren’t home
Leaving the lights on in your home is a great way to make it look occupied and deter would-be thieves. It may seem like a minor thing, but having the lights on when you’re not at home can help out with burglaries in many ways:
- It makes your house look occupied. A dark home with an open door or window can invite intruders. By leaving lights on while you’re away, burglars will assume that someone’s still there and go elsewhere instead.
- It makes it harder for people to break in without being seen by neighbors or passing cars. If someone sees you coming and going through windows, they might think twice before trying anything themselves.
- Having exterior lighting gives police officers an advantage when they conduct searches during emergencies—it helps them find people who might need help inside their homes without knowing where they live.
Install a security system in your home
You should have a security system in your home. This can be as simple as an inexpensive do-it-yourself kit, or you can hire a professional to install one for you. Regardless of which option you choose, make sure that:
- The system has a monitoring service (i.e., it’s connected to a monitoring company)
- There is a backup battery
- You can access it from your phone
Install deadbolt locks on all doors to the outside
If you live in a home with doors that open to the outside, installing deadbolt locks on all of them is important. A deadbolt is a lock with a bolt that goes into the door frame. It’s more secure than standard locks and can be installed on all exterior doors to the outside. If your front door doesn’t have one already, it’s extremely easy to install it yourself or have someone do it for you at a minimal cost.
Do not keep a spare key in an obvious location (like under the mat)
You are not the only one who has a key to your house. If you don’t keep it in a safe or secure place, anyone can find a spare key under the mat and use it to get into your home.
- You will lose access to your own home if someone steals your keys and uses them to gain access without permission.
- If you lose or misplace both sets of keys (the one for you and one for anyone else), then there is no way for you to get back inside until someone comes by with another set of keys they have permission to use.
- A spare key hidden near the front door is an invitation for burglaries as well because thieves can easily find a spare key under the doormat and walk right into any house with no problem at all! It’s crazy how many people still think this is okay—it’s not.
Keep a firearm like a shotgun
If you do decide to keep a firearm in your home, avoid keeping it loaded. Do not store shotgun shells in the same place as the gun. Store ammunition separately in locked cabinets or safes. You should also get into the habit of locking up your firearms when they’re not being used, regardless of whether they are loaded or unloaded.
You may want to consider keeping a non-lethal self-defense weapon like pepper spray or mace on hand as well (and even some bear spray). It’s important to remember that these items are only effective if you have time to use them – don’t bother with them if someone is already inside your home trying to hurt you.
As you can see, there are several things you can do to make your home more secure. While some people may be leery of installing a security system in their home due to the cost or not wanting a stranger coming into their home, it’s important to remember that this will be one less thing for you to worry about when it comes time for bedtime.