Corner desks look a bit tricky to build but there are no doubts that you can build one. To make it easier we’re providing the steps needed to build for different spaces. Follow them exactly and you should be finished in no time. Working from home is the new normal. For this reason, we will be starting with the corner desk that would upgrade your home setup.
- Power sander
- Vice or clamps
- Measure tape
- Jigsaw or circular saw
- Straight edge square
- Power drill
To start with, you have to find the perfect corner for your desk. After this, you can follow the steps below to build out the corner desk.
- Measure the L shape corner as you want to ensure that your desk fits perfectly.
- Pick the type of material to use in the building. This could be hardwood for the legs and MDF (Medium-density fiberboard) for the top so you have a smooth desk surface.
- Since you have the dimensions for the L shape you can now proceed to build the desk surface. If you’ll be operating a computer then cut out a circular hole on top for wires to pass through.
- To get the L shape, cut two different wood pieces for each side of the L.
- Proceed to join both using appropriate screws and a drill.
- Next, add the frame that would hold the legs to the desk surface.
- For the desk base, it is best to build two wide legs with space for drawers as you would need storage space for your work stuff.
Gaming today has completely evolved from what it used to be. Gamers now use close to three monitors along with consoles and controllers for their gaming setup. This means gamers need a pretty big desk. A corner desk to a superb idea especially when space is limited.
Here’s how to build your very own corner desk for gaming:
- Find a large corner and measure the L shape. Make sure the longer part of the L is quite long to create maximum space.
- Build the desk top with the measured length. If you require an elevated space for your monitor then you would need more wood to build on the top deck when you’re done.
- Cut out about two circular holes on top to accommodate the cable
- Next, build the desk frame which will be used in attaching the base.
- For the base, build at least three legs to support the weight of devices instead of the two many corner tables tends to have.
- Fix all together with screws to create your desk.
- Also, nail in some hooks at the side to keep your headphones and other gadgets.
Corner desk for small spaces
When spaces are small, you should maximize what you have. While corner desks already help with these additional specifications will help make sure they work in every space.
Here are the steps to building a corner desk for small spaces:
- Measure the L shape of the position you have chosen for it.
- Once you have the dimensions, build the desk surface, and its frame. Attach both parts.
- Instead of building the normal table legs, you get pipe supports which will be held in place with swivel flanges.
- Attach the supports to the top of the desk and the wall.
- The desk will have a floating appearance. This ensures the floor space below is still available for storage, or whatever you choose to use it for.
Corner desk with a hutch
If you have limited storage space or want something extra then this desk is for you. Before you start building you have to choose your desired type of hutch. Some seat directly on the table. Others are large and float above the desk. We’ll start by building the hutch so that placement is not hindered by the desk.
- As usual, measure the L shape of the corner you would like to make use of.
- If you want a large hutch that hangs above the desk you will be making two desk surfaces.
- Create a frame and attach it to the hutch surface. Build out the shelving for the hutch. Make sure the height extends to cover the length of the hutch.
- Mount the hutch with wall supports such as screws. This is to ensure stability as it will not be floated off the ground.
- Build out the corner desk as instructed in the home office section and place below.
Corner desk for three monitors
To hold three monitors without any issues the corner desk has to be quite large. For the longer side of the L, extend the measurement so the desk is longer than the average desk.
- After getting the corner measurements you need to build out the top of the desk.
- Cut out at least two circular holes in the top for the monitor cables to pass through.
- You should use a smooth material like MDF (Medium-density fiberboard) for the surface because the desk will be used for monitors.
- Next, work on the desk frame. While working on it, factor in the compartments needed to build under the desk to hold keyboards.
- Build out the base or legs of the desk as well as the sliding keyboard compartments.
- Make sure the base is built out of solid material so it can hold up the weight of the monitor. Whatever you use can be beautified later on with paint.
- Attach it all with screws and glue.
Corner Desks are pieces of furniture used in schools, offices, or homes. They help in maximizing available space while also providing efficiency when you go about your professional or domestic activities such as reading and writing. Follow the steps provided above to build yours today!