Doesn’t matter whether it’s a residential or commercial property, an electric gate opener is an undeniable necessity of our modern lives. Not only does it provide incredible security, but also saves you from the constant trouble of manhandling the main gate. Plus, it eliminates the need of hiring a security guard, especially for commercial setups.
However, the abundance of different types of electric gate openers’ types and models, makes it extremely overwhelming to choose the right device. To help you out, we’ve compiled everything you need to know before choosing the best equipment. So, read on!
Finding the Best Electric Gate Opener
Determine the Size Requirements
Depending on the main entrance, the size of the gate varies — they can be everything from slender, lightweight to hefty and massive. What you need here is to measure the weight, length, and height of the door to match the specifications of the gate operating equipment. That’s because not every machine can work for all kinds of gates.
Here are a few essential size considerations that must be noted down beforehand:
- Length of each leaf
- The span (for swinging gates)
- Angle of opening
Do Your Gate Swing or Slide?
Both the sliding and swinging gates, as the names imply, operate differently. Thus, they demand different machines for opening the gates. Although some modern alternatives of gate openers can adjust to the orientation, the majority of the devices are still designed specifically to the aforementioned styles.
A motor with gear wheels rotates to move the sliding door along the track — that’s how most of the electric gate openers work. Swinging doors, on the other hand, are operated with the assistance of mechanical arms.
You may find the following types of motors if your gate swings:
- Threaded gate shaft motors
- Articulated gate arm motors
- Hydraulic rams
- Underground gate motors
Consider the Environmental Factors
Since the devices are going to be placed outdoor, it is absolutely necessary for them to withstand the fluctuating extreme weather. More essentially, if you live in an area with a harsh climate, you should be extra careful with what you are choosing, Remember not all of these devices are built for all types of weather conditions.
Consider the environmental factors such as temperature, fog, humidity, rain, hail, and others to make sure that your equipment needs minimum repairs annually.
Safety Comes first
Gates should know when to stop. Or they will harm people or objects otherwise. Look for devices that come with built-in IR detectors to sense obstacles in their path. By detecting anything in the way, they should stop and reverse themselves to return to their original position, avoiding accidental contacts — not to mention, they should also come with a metal detector to know if there’s a car in the proximity.
What’s more, an emergency system is also needed in case of power shutdowns or mechanical malfunctions. Consider these safety features to enjoy the most of these electric gate openers.
How Much Do They Cost?
If you seek a commercial unit, prepare yourself for some serious investment. That’s they come with an exorbitant price — a few thousand bucks — that will leave you broke. Residential units, on the opposite, are relatively cheaper and a good unit can be bought under a grand.
Additional Tips for Choosing the Best Electric Gate Openers
Is this your first time purchasing an electric gate opener? If yes, then the following tips will help you further with your purchase.
- Give a thorough inspection of the parts and material of the device to choose a quality product. Make sure the machine is outfitted with anti-corrosive parts or paint so that it can withstand the harshness of outdoor weather.
- The whole package should include an all-inclusive guide or manual to assemble the product. It will eliminate the need of hiring someone to do the task.
- Take into account the speed of operation. For instance, if you are living on a roadside, where there is less space to part, you would be needing a gate opener that operates at a good speed.
- Pay attention to the temperature range. This information will be provided by the manufacturer or it will be available generally to the public. So, make sure you consider this factor to make an informed decision.
- If you seek the fastest and the most convenient way to operate the door, look for a Bluetooth-enabled device. You would be easily able to send signals just before your arrival to take the car in without waiting for the gate to open.
- Make sure you are purchasing from a reliable source to maximize the chances of getting the right equipment. You can also contact the respective company or manufacturer to find more about the device you have your eyes on.