Whether you’ve just moved into a new property or you’re currently updating your existing home, finding the best type of carpet for your house can be difficult. You’ve got several choices, with various styles and materials available.
Carpet is usually the preferred option for living rooms and bedrooms because they’re cozy and comfortable. However, they can be used outdoors too, such as with an indoor outdoor carpet.
Choosing a stylish and modern carpet can make you feel more relaxed and comfortable in your house. Although carpets require some extra maintenance, high-quality options will last for decades to come so you won’t need to worry about updating them for a while.
The difficulty often comes when you’re trying to find the right carpet for your home. While it’s nice to have plenty of options, this can make your decision more overwhelming. You want to find a carpet that is easy to clean, looks great, and doesn’t show stains easily.
Choosing the Best Type of Carpet
To make your decision, you will need to know which types of carpets are available to you.
Berber – sometimes called level loop carpet, Berber carpets are stain-resistant and perfect for areas of the home that have a high volume of foot traffic.
- Cut pile – cut pile carpets are made using sheared fibers that create a soft and cozy carpet. Plush pile and frieze are two of the most popular types of cut pile carpets.
- Loop pile – this type of carpet is highly practical and durable. It requires very little maintenance and doesn’t show stains too easily. The fibers of the carpet are twisted together into loops to add strength and softness to the carpet.
- Tufted – tufted carpets are available in a range of styles using pile yarn that is punched into backing fabric. This creates what is known as a cut and loop pile design.
- Woven – this type of carpet is made using materials that are woven together, rather than a printed design on top of the materials. You can get woven carpets that come in various colors and patterns to create unique designs.
Choosing the Right Carpet Material
The next thing to consider is the material that you’d like your carpet to be made out of and you’ve got plenty of choices. Every type of material has its pros and cons. Here are the main types of carpet materials:
- Nylon – although nylon is synthetic, it is still a great option for carpets. Nylon is highly resistant to scratches, and easy to clean and maintain.
- Polypropylene – another highly stain-resistant material option is polypropylene, which is made using synthetic fibers that are twisted or looped.
- Wool – wool is a high quality fiber for carpets, and it feels soft and delicate. Carpets can be made solely from wool or using a mixture of different materials.