Wasps are winged insects that stand out as one of the most common pests around. With their menacing buzz and painful sting, wasps can make a home uncomfortable with their presence. Dealing with wasps and getting rid of them safely, could be tricky. This is why it is important to follow the right steps. This article will detail all that you need to know about getting rid of wasps safely.
What Type of Wasps is in Your Home?
Before you commence the removal process, you must first determine what kind of wasp is present in your home. There are quite a number of them, with each species having its peculiarities. Below are some of the species of wasps that could be present in your home.
- Yellow Jackets: These are wasps that come in the size of a bee. They are called yellow jackets, as a result of their unique yellow and black markings. This species of wasps are common in different parts of the world.
- Paper Wasps: Paper wasps are the most dangerous species of wasps, having one of the most dangerous stings in the world. Native to Europe but already finding their way to other parts of the world, paper wasps are ranked 3.0 on the Schmidt Pain Index. The pain that comes from a paper wasp sting is known to have a burning sensation. It has been likened to the sensation that comes from spilled acid on the skin.
- Hornets: Hornets come in black color with white or light yellow stripes. They are social wasps, and hardly sting unless they feel threatened.
Wasps are attracted to the home for several reasons which include shelter, food leftovers, food sources, flowers as well as sugar.
How To Get Rid Of Wasps In Your Home
Getting rid of wasps can be straightforward if you follow these tips.
- Hang Wasps Traps: Hanging wasp traps is a very effective way of getting rid of wasps. This trap is made up of a liquid substance that attracts wasps, acting like bait. Once the wasps get lured into the trap, they get stuck and eventually drown. If you decide to make use of wasps traps, it is important to replace them frequently as they could get messy.
- Spray Wasps Nests: Like birds, wasps make nests which they live in. If you spot any of these nests around your home, it is important to get rid of them. You can purchase wasp nest spray from a store to this effect. Ensure to put on protective gear before using this spray, as it could be harmful to your skin.
- Block Entry Points: If you have noticed a wasp infestation in your home, it is important to block all entry points. Ensure to keep doors and windows closed. Be sure to seal cracks and gaps in the home with silicone caulk. You can kill wasps with a homemade solution that combines vinegar, sugar, and water.
Contact a pest control company, if you are dealing with a wasp infestation in your home.