Experts suggest that there is a solution for common lawn mower troubles, but you can purchase a new one in case there is a major fault. It’s it not possible to avoid or prevent any mechanical troubles. But, not all garden owners can understand the difference between minor and unfixable defects.
You can easily repair a broken cable, damaged belt and replace the blades as well. But, for anything bigger than this, the answer is not close-ended. So, is it worth repairing a lawnmower? Well, that depends upon the repair cost. It’s right, how much you want to invest in your old mower? You will be in a better position to answer this question after reading the details given below.
Consider Lawn Mower Repair
- Carburettor faults: Condensation and sediment accumulation can block or clog the carburettor. In case you forget to drain remaining fuel before storing the mower for winters, you might start noticing unusual behavior from the machine. Starting problems is one of the common, but it’s not expensive to repair.
- Connectivity problems: If the power cable is working properly, then you can replace it easily even if you have little knowledge of electric components.
Consider Lawn Mower Replacement
- Engine faults: Repairing a mower engine is expensive and hence, it’s not worth your time or investment. If the engine is damaged internally, then it’s better to look for a new mower. Repairing broken rods or pistons can be comparatively costly than purchasing a new one.
- Crankshaft damage: Mower’s crankshaft can be damaged if the blade accidentally hits a sold object. The repair costs can reach up to £800. But, you can purchase one of the best lawn mowers for £400. So, what do you think? Repair or replacement?
- Failed transmissions: If the mower is old, then it’s not feasible to repair the drive system. Why? Because the repair costs can go up to £400. So, if the unit is old and the transmission is not working properly, then it’s time for an upgrade.
- Old and inefficient mower: In case the unit is more than 10 years old and it’s causing regular troubles, then think about buying a new mower.
Tips to keep the mower online
- Clean the mower and its blades after every usage. Take a look at its screws and all other components. Tighten the screws or replace any of the parts in case any of them is faulty.
- Change the spark plug and air filter once every year in case of petrol propelled mower.
- Replacing the blades or sharpening is also necessary, otherwise blunt edges will exert extra pressure on the engine resulting in further problems.
- Follow proper process before storing the mower for the next season. Drain the remaining fuel or add stabilizer to keep the internal components safe.
As you can understand, it is worth repairing a lawnmower if the defects or troubles are minor. In case you are facing problems while using the mower then check its warranty and get assistance from the manufacturers. If you want to keep the machine working in excellent condition, then do no neglect its regular servicing.