If you’re considering Sarasota kitchen remodeling, you might wonder about the biggest expense you’ll face and how to budget your project properly. Many homeowners also wonder if they can renovate a kitchen for $5000 or less, and the order in which they should plan their remodeling project.
While every homeowner must decide for themselves how much they’ll spend on a kitchen renovation, and their spending priorities, it’s helpful to review some average remodeling costs. You can then discuss your home’s needs and a budget with a Sarasota kitchen renovation contractor (https://sarasotakitchenremodels.com/), and create a design plan you’ll love for years to come.
What Is the Most Expensive Part of Sarasota Kitchen Remodeling?
While your renovation expenses will vary according to the materials and contractors you choose, note some national averages for kitchen remodeling costs:
- Cabinets are usually the most expensive part of a kitchen renovation, averaging around $15,000 in total. Custom cabinetry, more expensive materials such as walnut, and other specialty features can increase this price.
- Homeowners spend about $8000 on average for new appliances in their kitchen. This cost will also vary according to appliance sizes, specialty features, and material.
- Countertops might average around $6000 per kitchen renovation. This price will vary greatly according to a kitchen’s size and material chosen.
- A new built-in kitchen island can cost between $3000 and $5000, on average.
- Kitchen flooring often averages between $1500 and $4500, depending on the kitchen’s size.
- Lighting and paint might average several hundred dollars to over $1000 per renovation project.
Other kitchen renovation costs include new furniture for the space and specialty built-ins such as a coffee bar, beverage cooler, and prep sink.
How Do You Budget For a Sarasota Kitchen Remodel?
To set your budget for a Sarasota kitchen remodeling project, start with any repairs needed for the space. As an example, older pipes might need replacing or the kitchen’s subflooring might need added bracing, shimming, or other support. You’ll also want to set aside funds if you plan to rework the space, such as removing a wall or expanding the pantry.
Once you’ve budgeted for repairs and upgrades, decide what changes are needed for your kitchen, in order of importance. For instance, you might be happy with the appliances in the space but if the cabinets and countertops are old and outdated, their replacement should be a priority!
When deciding on what takes priority for your planned kitchen renovation, remember that it’s vital to create safe, hygienic surfaces in a kitchen. Scratched countertops might hold lots of germs and bacteria that you simply cannot get clean, while insufficient lighting can risk cuts and burns during food prep and cooking.
A homeowner should also remember practical items in the kitchen rather than prioritizing added style. This can include a larger pantry, energy-efficient appliances, and new cabinets where you need accessible storage the most. Your Sarasota kitchen renovation contractor can typically help you choose items and create a design plan that means a functional kitchen as well as a beautiful one!
In What Order Do You Remodel a Kitchen?
The first thing to do for a kitchen remodel is to address any needed repairs and configure the plumbing and electrical fixtures and connections. Your next step is to paint the walls! Painting is easier to accomplish when the appliances and other items are removed rather than having to work around them once installed.
Your flooring and cabinets come next, then your new countertops. You’ll then install the appliances and kitchen sink as well as other specialty built-ins, such as an appliance garage or beverage cooler. The backsplash is applied or installed once the appliances are in place.
The last steps of kitchen renovation include all the small finishing touches such as reattaching cabinet hardware, installing light fixtures, and replacing switch plates. Your kitchen then needs a full-scale cleaning to remove any leftover grout, caulk, paint chips, and dust, and it’s ready for furniture and housewares!
Can You Remodel a Kitchen for $5000?
A homeowner can remodel a kitchen for as little as $5000, if you’re willing to do some work yourself and also know a few tricks for saving on the cost of new materials and appliances. Check out some tips for ensuring a quality kitchen renovation for as little money as possible:
- If your kitchen cabinets are in good condition but old and worn, consider repainting or a fresh stain color. You can even purchase new doors alone rather than entirely new cabinets, for a fresh look.
- New hardware also improves the look of a kitchen instantly. Updated knobs, pulls, and hinges can offer lots of stunning visual appeal for far less cost than new cabinetry.
- Shop around for inexpensive countertop options such as poured concrete or resin, which offer a high-end look that rivals stone but without the same expense.
- If you must have stone countertops, shop for remnants or veneers, which are thin sheets of stone you install over the existing countertops.
- For small kitchens with insufficient storage, you might install rollout shelving, built-in dividers, and other personalized items. These can maximize storage without the cost of an expanded pantry or oversized cabinetry.
- Some kitchen flooring options can be applied over the existing floor, if the current tiles are in good condition. Peel-and-stick tile also installs easily, so you can forego the expense of a flooring contractor.
- Many homeowners fail to realize that you can paint kitchen appliances! Specialty paints can update the look of your kitchen appliances instantly, for a fraction of the cost of new appliances.
- You might also cover dishwasher fronts and other surfaces with peel-and-stick metallic contact paper, for an upgraded look.
- An old cabinet can be turned into a rolling kitchen island with casters and a section of countertop material attached to its top. A fresh coat of paint, new hardware, and a few added hooks can mean a stunning, functional kitchen island on a budget!
Remember, too, that fresh paint and a new light fixture can update your space quickly. These simple touches can help you afford beautiful Sarasota kitchen remodeling no matter your budget!