If you are going to start a bakery, departmental store or a restaurant that displays food, then having food display glass cabinets is a must. There are many advantages to having glass cabinets. They can store food products at desired temperatures. They fill the customer’s view of various food products. This ultimately increases sales because visual appeal is very hard to resist in Homo sapiens.
However, no benefits come easy. Maintaining these display cabinets can be a challenging task. These function to its optimum level only if we regularly maintain them. Ignorance may lead to extra power bills or even wastage of food products. These factors can make the glass cabinet door unaffordable in the long run.
How to manage the food display glass cabinets
Since different food types require different storage conditions, proper care must be observed to get the maximum output. Some of the points should not miss:
- Raw and ready to eat foods should never be kept together. Because this can cause cross-contamination.
- Always use food storage display cabinets to store food items only. However, things other than food should never be stored in it.
- Regularly wash and sanitize food display glass cabinets.
- The temperature red alert zone is between 5 °C and 10 °C. Because this temperature zone is ideal for Bacteria growth in high-risk foods. So, always operate your glass cabinets below 5 °C or above 10 °C. Keep a track record of times and temperatures at which food is displayed.
- Because this helps to make sure that display glass cabinets are working properly and temperatures are safe.
- Regularly service the Operating machinery for temperature control. This will increase the efficiency and life of the food display cabinet.
What type of cabinets are recommended for storing different food items?
There are many types of food products available in the market. These are different from each other and they demand different types of storage. Moreover, because of this, we have multiple types of storage. Let’s discuss all these one by one:
- Cold Glass Cabinets
Cold display glass cabinets should always be operated below 5 °C. Potentially hazardous food might be spoiled if stored above this temperature. Always cover or wrap the food kept in the glass cabinets with a food-grade foil.
Temperatures must be regularly examined. The ideal frequency is every 4 hours but at least once a day is a bare minimum. An independent and calibrated thermometer must be used to check the temperature. Proper protection must be provided to prevent customers from contaminating food. They might do so unintentionally by breathing or coughing over the food.
- Hot Glass Cabinets
For Hot Glass Cabinets, there are a few different types. Bain-Maries and Pie Warmers also come under this category. However, the underlying principle to manage all of these is similar.
The temperature of hot food display cabinets must be over 60 °C. This maintains the quality of potentially hazardous food. Before placing the food in the cabinet, it must be preheated rapidly. Use the First In First Out principle while serving the food from a hot food display cabinet. This reduces the risk of contamination. The temperature must be regularly checked every 4 hours (at least once a day is minimum). An independent and calibrated thermometer should be used.
How to clean glass cabinets properly?
You must clean your food display cabinets every day to avoid the growth of bacteria that could originate from moist and food residue. Additionally, if the glass cabinets are neat and tidy, they look visually appealing. This increases the chances of attracting a potential sale. So, how do you go about cleaning your food display cabinets? Here are a few tips that can help:
- You need to use good quality glass cleaning spray. Try to go for natural cleaning materials. These are a little expensive but are eco-friendly and do not contaminate food. The first step involves spraying this all over the glass. You must spray this with sweeping action from left to right and top to bottom.
- Cover all the nook and corners with the spray. The preferred choice of cloth is a microfiber cloth. Rub this cloth all over the glass cabinets until they are clean. To leave a shiny lint-free finish, buff all over the glass with a microfiber cloth.
- To clean the inside of glass cabinets, make sure you wear gloves and follow a process similar to the process above. The only difference is that while applying microfiber cloth, firm circular motions should be used. As it helps in controlling condensation.
Get the best Glass Cabinets for your food business. Whether you own a bakery, departmental store or a restaurant, we have everything you need. Collect more information on various designs, sizes, types of glass and other features from Fab Glass and Mirror. Here, you can browse our wide variety of selections. We offer options suited for your needs. We also deliver our products right at your doorstep. Our free expert consultation will help you in getting the best products at the most affordable prices.