A plant nursery is the operation that raises, generates, increases, and makes a sale of saplings, seedlings, and other sowing substances for planting.
The plant nurseries can be done on a small scale or large scale depending on the farmer’s need. They require special attention for the seedlings to germinate well. There is a lot one has to learn about plant nurseries. Click on this link https://spnsinc.com/wholesale-plant-nursery-georgetown-de/to know more.
Importance of Plant Nurseries
- There exist plant species that do not grain each year. In this case, it is difficult to get them any time you want to plant them. This issue can be sorted by collecting the seeds and putting up conservatory in the year of great production. In this case, you will be able to use the seeds to sow the plant species in the subsequent years when the production is so low or when there is no production at all.
- It is somehow difficult to take care of seeds after germination in the main field. Plant nurseries can help solve this problem since it is much easier to take care of the seeds here since it requires less attention, and it is also very economical.
- The most common method of propagating fruits crops is the vegetative propagation strategy. Special skills and aftercare are necessary before transplanting propagules in the main field. Both of these tasks are made possible and easier in a plant nursery. This is made possible by using skilled labor to do the work and regulating it under special conditions.
- Some seeds require certain conditions for them to germinate. This will be much more difficult to provide in the main field. Direct planting is less effective in these crops compared to relocating of seeds brought in a greenhouse.
- The moist house chamber in a nursery provides the ideal circumstances for solidifying grafts, cuttings, and establishing.
- It is essential to replace plants that did not grow. This can be done in the following year or the year of planting. Planting done in holes is most likely to be unsuccessful due to weed suppression. This will hinder them from catching up with the other plants from the initial plantation. Growing plants in a nursery will eliminate all these hindrances, so in this case, they are the most preferred. Hardened nursery plants are also recommended for causality replacement in orchards.
- Growing plants in a nursery will give you enough time for preparation of the subsequent processes since you are able to see how the seedlings progress.
- The only way plants can be solidified against normal components is through the use of plant conservatory to grow the seedlings.
- Some greenery species take a lot of time to grow. If they are sown in the main field, they are most likely to be suppressed by the fast-growing weeds and die. Therefore, to curb this problem, these slow-growing seedlings are planted in a nursery until they grow to a certain length. From this place, they are now sown in the main field at this time when they are not likely to be suppressed by the weed.
- Nursery-grown plants are the most reliable method when it comes to artificial regenerating of fruitless and unfortunate cultivating destinations.
Types of Plant Nursery
Plant nurseries are classified based on the following:
The Time Span it is Used
In this category there exist two types of plant conservatory; permanent and temporary. Seeds are planted in a protected area in a temporary nursery. The saplings are transferred to the main field after the seeds germinate.
This type of nursery can also be referred to as a seed nursery. The temporary nursery is made close to the planting field to assist in the easy transfer of the saplings to the main field. The nursery is disassembled after the planting operation is done in the main field. And because these nurseries have a short life span, they are not housed by permanent structures for example fencing, fixed irrigation systems, and an office area.
Permanent nurseries are made for large-scale operations and consist of permanent structures. Permanent nurseries are made specifically to dispense saplings to be supplied for a prolonged duration of time. Therefore, these types of nurseries are made of permanent structures like a pot yard, compositing area, packaging area, an office, fencing, and fixed irrigation systems.
This category is composed of two types of nurseries; wet and dry nurseries. A wet nursey does not depend on rainfall at any point for the seedlings to germinate since they have a permanent plan for a continuous irrigation system. These types of nurseries can accommodate any plant species.
On the other hand, dry nurseries solely depend on rainfall for the seedlings to germinate since they do not have a permanent plan for a continuous irrigation system. These types of nurseries are made specifically for drought-resistant crops.
This category consists of two types; horizontal and vertical nurseries. In a horizontal nursery, the plants’ nursery occupies the whole land space. These are the most common types of nurseries used.
Similar to vertical planting, in a vertical nursery, the saplings are arranged on many levels. They do not just occupy the ground.
This category consists of two types of greenery nurseries; open and closed. As suggested by its name, open nurseries lack any type of rooftop enclosure. The plant seedlings in this type of nursery are cultivated in the open without a cover-up with total subjection to the environmental conditions.
In a closed nursery, the seedlings are grown out in a closed enclosure for example in a shade-net structure, polyhouse, or a greenhouse. The conditions of these structures are artificially controlled to the desired conditions that best suit the plant growth. Click here to learn more.
In addition to the importance and types of plant nurseries, you should also know the factors that affect greenery conservatories. These factors include the topography of the site, location, and climate. The type of soil used, accessibility to water, fertilizers, and manure use plus labor availability to do the tasks are also among the significant factors you should put into consideration.