One of the most common questions that caring parents usually ask is how to decor one room for two kids. After all, each of them has their own interests, hobbies, everybody needs a personal space for resting and studying. Read these vital space-saving tips on how to mix business with pleasure renovating kids’ bedroom without prejudice to anyone’s interests.
What to do first
It’s extremely essential to design a kids’ room thoughtfully and properly, where two ‘inhabitants’ will be living. The mood of your kids, their desire to broaden their horizons, willingness to invite friends, and other activities will depend on how you arrange the kids’ place. The better and more convenient their room is, the more comfortable peaceful the whole family will feel.
The basic factors on the first stage of the kids’ bedroom interior designing you should keep in mind are:
- the age of your kids;
- the gender of your kids – different or the same.
Pay attention also to the following points:
- personal space is a must for every baby, even in a small bedroom;
- kids taste preferences in terms of the choice of colors and design themes;
- multifunctional furniture in a small kids’ room allows using the space more efficiently;
- zone and position the room to highlight areas of different purposes.
When arranging a bedroom, you can adopt such wonderful methods as divider curtains, portable folding screens or any other room dividers. This will help to better cope with the arrangement of individual space for kids and provide sufficient privacy for each of them.
Bedroom designing tips for same-gender kids
If your babies are of the same sex – 2 boys or 2 girls – it will be easier to design one room for both of them.
A great option for decorating any kids’ bedrooms is sticky pictures, which you can stick to the wall or a piece of furniture. As the kids grow up and their interests are changing, just switch the stickers to the new ones.
It’s better to organize two separate beds and working areas for each baby in a large room. If you’re not very lucky with the dimensions of the bedroom, you could set a sturdy bunk bed and get a corner table.
In addition, don’t forget about the cabinets for books, notebooks, writing and other necessary accessories – equally for each baby. So you teach boys and girls from an early age how to be responsible for personal stuff and keep them in order. If the cupboard for clothes is shared, divide the shelves for everybody in advance, this will also help discipline your kids.
Bedroom for two boys
First of all, remember what colors each boy prefers. The next step is to divide the room into zones. For this, you can play with various geometric figures on the walls but only keeping in mind that the colors fit each other.
Bedroom for two girls
Organizing space for girls is a little more difficult since little princesses are often more demanding of the space around, accessories and little stuff. Typically, the color palette of the room will be more soft and romantic than in the boys’ bedroom. Various ‘adult-like’ decor details – chests of drawers, mirrors, etc – will fit into the girls’ spot perfectly.
Design features for kids of different gender
If you have to share one room with a boy and a girl, use such a technique as zoning the room with decorative partitions, curtains, a screen or a small closet.
Highlight the boy’s area with color and ‘masculine’ details:
- a horizontal bar;
- a punching bag;
- a basketball hoop;
- uneven bars;
- a sport-style bed, etc.
Underline the girl’s corner with a canopy bed, a mirror, a dressing table with drawers, a dollhouse, and so on.
How to save space in the kids’ bedroom – 7 vital tips
The most common option is when you have to design a not-so-large room for two kids. The main task, in this case, is saving space to the max. The solution is the most functional furniture.
In particular, most designers offer the following ideas:
- Bunk beds. There are a lot of options and designs for such a piece of furniture today. It’s not difficult to choose a model that is acceptable at the price, quality, color, and other requests. In case the bedroom has low ceilings (up to 8 ft), consider alternative ideas as well, as sleeping under the ceiling in such a situation will make the kid feel uncomfortable.
- Don’t worry if a bunk bed is not your option. Pay attention to the folding beds, which could be hidden in the closet during the day, and unfolded in the evening as a regular bed. Of course, such furniture is more expensive but it perfectly deals with the problem of kids of different ages in the same room.
- Sofa beds also allow you to save space in the daytime significantly, while they’re not as pricey as the previous option. They can be separated by a bedside table where you could make some place for stuff for both kids.
- Setting a storage bed with drawers is an excellent way out in order to hide lots of things and get free extra space in minutes – from toys to bedding or clothes. Another interesting option is to keep a full-sized sofa in a podium that is pulled out int the evening and set nearby.
- An attic bed or an entire system consisting of a bed located on the top and a working desk with drawers, shelves, and other important details below.
- Use as many racks, hanging shelves, and drawers as possible in a small room to help children organize their belongings.
- Use the window sill as a table. Such an interesting move saves space in the room that makes the perfect working area for kids. The sufficient access to natural light through the window is undoubtedly a great benefit of such an arrangement.
Well, as you can see, there’s a huge bunch of options for arranging even a small bedroom for two kids. Just use your imagination and creativity, experiment, ask your kids advice and go ahead together!