Termite Inspection Price, Preparations, and Prevention Tips
Do you ever wonder how much termite inspections cost? If you want to know the answer, keep reading. You might have concerns about potential termite infestations in your home.
You probably heard about a neighbour’s home that’s got them. Or you believe your home may set the right conditions. Either way, you’ll want to get one done every year.
In this quick guide, you’ll find out how much a termite inspection is. You’ll also know about the prices for treatment options that are available. If there are termites present, dealing with them immediately will be the best option. So, make sure to contact your local termite inspector today before things turn into an issue.
Termites could be in your home already and you may not know it. Let’s talk more about termite inspections right now.
What are termites?
Termites are insects known to feed on wood. They are considered pests, especially by homeowners. There are two kinds of termites that homeowners have come in contact with: worker termites and swarmers.
The worker termites will be cream colored and measure anywhere from 3 to 4mm. A termite swarmer will be darker in color and will measure at around 4mm. Keep this in mind when you want to identify specific termites that may invade your home.
How to prepare for a termite inspection?
Let’s take a look at how you can prepare for a termite inspection:
- Move objects to different areas: For example, get everything stored under the kitchen sink out and relocated elsewhere. This also includes your bathroom sink as well. Also, if your garage is cluttered, declutter it. Make sure all items that are stored against the walls both inside and outside of your home are put away in storage.
- Make your attic and crawl space accessible: These are two places where the inspector will need to look. Ensure that nothing is blocking the area.
- Do some outdoor trimming: This includes bushes and ground cover that is running along the foundation and exterior perimeter of your home.
How to prevent termite infestation?
You don’t want to wait any longer to prevent a termite infestation. The sooner you get started, the better. With that said, let’s take a look at the following measures you’ll want to take to prevent termite infestations from happening:
- Reduce any moisture: Termites thrive in high moisture conditions. For this reason, you’ll want to fix any pipes that may be leaking. Ensure that your gutters are not clogged and use downspouts to your advantage. Also, check to see if your soil is able to keep the water away from your home’s foundation.
- Landscape regularly: This includes trimming your bushes and hedges. Also, keeping your lawn mown around your home and throughout will be a plus. Prevent as much wood to soil contact as possible.
- Get rid of cardboard boxes: If you are storing anything in cardboard boxes, you’ll want to relocate the contents to another container such as plastic totes. Discard the cardboard boxes accordingly.
- Check your roof and attic: Your roof and attic will have potential entry points. For this reason, you’ll want to check for areas where wooden beams are exposed. If there are, make sure they are fixed as soon as possible.
- Get an annual inspection done: Last but not least, one of your better lines of defense will be to get an annual inspection done. A professional inspector will know the signs of any termite infestation as well as potential conditions that can create one. Also, it would be wise to know some of the basic ‘what to look for’ things so you can try and keep your eyes open for any infestation on your own.
Inspection and treatment prices
In Australia, an inspection for termites will range anywhere from $250 to $500. As for additional treatments, it will depend on what is the better option. Keep in mind that treatment options can range anywhere from $500 to $3000.
Some treatments can range anywhere from $2000 to $4000. Such factors will include the size of your house and the kind of treatment that will be done.
How to hire the right termite inspector?
Hiring a termite inspector is key. You want to find out whether they have the right licensing and experience. Check out their website further to see which licenses they hold.
You can also check out local reviews to see if they leave their customers satisfied every time. The happier people are with the service, the better. Also, see if there is a termite inspector that fits your budget.
Some of their services may be out of your price range. Find the best quality service you can afford. As always, don’t try and find the cheapest option as there may be the risk of dealing with low quality service.
Termite inspections and treatments are costly. Even though inspections are annual, you’ll want to set aside an amount of money that will cover the costs each year. It’s your best investment against termites.
Your home is important to you. Are you willing to put in enough money to protect it from termites? If so, an annual termite inspection is worth it.
Leave a Reply